Thursday, December 6, 2012

Up Before Sunrise – Clay makes My Day

Crabby earring and pendant set
Joan Tayler answers the PC Questionnaire

 When did you first discover that polymer clay is a great art material?
I was teaching a class of elementary students how to make things at 1-12 scale and polymer clay was used to make miniature food. In researching the material I found Nan Roche's book the New Clay and I was smitten.

Next to your hands, a knife and a pasta machine what are your favourite tools?
I have a gasket pick that I bought a car parts store that is perfect to draw on clay as well as to sculpt and pierce clay beads.  After that I like the texture sheets that I make myself.

What is your greatest artistic inspiration?
Nature of course, especially plants. Leaves are great and flowers are okay. After that I want to make things that have a purpose besides art. Would that be considered a artistic inspiration? Perhaps not.

What is the best thing about your current studio space or spaces?
I currently work in the living room of our town house. It has a north window and it is nice to be at home. I have also been sharing a studio space with a fibre artist, Carmen of Melonhead Knit Wear. The studio space has been fun but it is without windows and a drive away so I will be moving into a studio space in my neighbourhood.

What is the best time of day to work?
I am and early bird. I sometimes start at about 3:00 in the morning. That is why I will keep some space at home where I can work before that sun rises.

Whose work do you most admire?
Among the polymer clay artist I would have to choose Tory Hughs and Jon Anderson. There are so many great artists I admire but these two were among the first that impressed me. Out side of polymer clay I would choose the late Jim Rimmer graphic artist extraordinary, who I considered a friend and mentor.

What other artistic medium do you enjoy working in?
If you can make a mark with it, I will try it, but my loves would be pencil, ink or watercolours, pretty much in that order.

What question would you add to this list of questions?
I liked Tina’s Question – “If you could make polymer clay more perfect what would that be?”, but I would really have a hard time answer the question. Perhaps a way to think of it as environmentally friendly.

Actually, it is Joan Tayler writing this blog, so it is me that is to blame to the lack of entries for the last for the last four months. My excuse is that is when I am going to market to sell my goods – I guess you could say that I was driven by the market. So I am back and I will to blog more often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment