Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Inspiration from the Sea

An Short Artist Interview with Gera Scott Chandler

When did you first discover that polymer clay is a great art material?

I discovered polymer clay to be a "chameleon" when I was trying to figure out how to drill holes in beach pebbles to add as accents for my Soap Stone soaps  I was making in or around 1998. Someone suggested I try make my own with polymer clay and it wasn't long after that that I turned my entire focus towards making polymer clay based creations.

Next to your hands, a knife and a pasta machine what are your favourite tools?
Turkey skewers- they are perfect for making holes and "Scritch-scratching".

What is your greatest artistic inspiration?
The beach.

What is the best thing about your current studio space or spaces?
It has a door I can close so no one sees when it becomes "out of hand"...

What is the best time of day to work?
Morning

Whose work do you most admire?
Hundertwasser

What other artistic medium do you joy working in?
fiber and natural materials-- currently kelp basketry

 


This is a pic of the Soap Stones I was making in the 90s- I used pc to make little imitation stones as a pkg embellishment.... it was my first serious use of pc. You can just make out a couple of the little beachstones I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment