Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Carolyn - A Study in Order

Clay Table
Glass Clay Table
Finishing Table
A short Artist interview with Carolyn Good

When did you first discover that polymer clay is a great art material?

I was into jewelry making and came across a class on how to make your own beads from polymer clay at a local bead show.  At that time the Vancouver Polymer Clay Guild was just starting up so I had to join and learn more about this new material.  It was at that first meeting when I saw work created by others in various forms and was extremely excited about what one could do with it.

Next to your hands, a knife and a pasta machine what are your favourite
tools?

I have a few favorites actually but the ones I maybe use the most are quilters template sheets (both plain and with a grid) as well as graph paper inserted into a sheet protector.  Both have different uses but great
for creating shapes and marking holes, etc.   With the graph paper, I can write and draw on it for creating my designs.

Another would be poultry lacers used for piercing and baking my beads.  I have a stack of them on my table and in use all the time.


What is your greatest artistic inspiration?

Flowers in our garden and fabrics.  They both give me ideas for combining
colors.

What is the best thing about your current studio space or spaces?

The three large work tables.  Each table has a different use.  Two are designated just for my clay work and a third specifically for finishing the pieces.  Two of them have an arborite finish and one is all glass so I can work right on them with my clay and not need to use a separate board.  I like to spread out when I work and it seems I always have every inch
covered with something.

What is the best time of day to work?

I use to say morning but now it varies.  Some days I am in my studio really early where other days I may not get started until late in the afternoon and then work in the evening.  It all depends on what else I have to do that day which might involve doing things around the house or computer work, etc. In the winter I like to prepare my clay and mix colors and canes etc. in the day and then work at a table I have in the main room and make beads while watching some favorite TV shows or a movie in the evening.

Whose work do you most admire?

I don't think there is just one but if I had to narrow it down, Iwould say Kathleen Dustin <http://www.kathleendustin.com/>.

What other artistic medium do you enjoy working in?

Sewing mainly but I also like to paint.


What question would you add to this list of questions?

Where do you see yourself and your work in 5 years?
 
In this last year we have been selling wholesale to stores which will no doubt keep growing.  I have also been creating larger pieces lately and see myself doing more since it is a nice change.  Jewelry, however, is my real passion and I would like to see how far it will take me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment